Fire and Ice is the second poem from the Book First Flight Class 10th. This poem was also written by Robert Frost. He was an American Poet. In his poetry, we generally find the instances of nature and its beauty.
9 lines long poem has two paragraphs i.e. four lines in first paragraph and 5 lines in second paragraph. Its rhyme pattern is abaa & ababa in 1st and 2nd paragraph respectively.
Robert Frost through his imagery depicting the reason of the end of this world. Desire and Hate is considered to be 2 elements that will become responsible for end. He associated Desire with Fire and Hate with Ice. Hence major theme of this poem is to understand our desire and hatefulness.
Important Points of Fire and Ice
- Desire is always a reason for destruction. History has so many example like Hitler whose desire ruined the peace of this world.
- Hate is common factor that can be generated due to ego or jealously. When we are filled with hatefulness, we cause destruction to ourselves as well as to the world.
- Desire is just like fire because it can be felt from distance but hate is like an Ice – cold but scary.
- Poet is suggesting to keep these 2 ailments away for the welfare of this world.
Read Complete Analysis: How Will the World Come to an End
Desire and hatefulness was always a cause of destruction and it will remain as a cause for destruction in the future too.Moral of the Poem
Question asked in Board Examinations
- What is the symbol of Fire and that of the Ice? [C-2017]
- What do different people say about the end of this world? What is the poet’s view? [A-2018, B-2019]
- What are the symbols of Fire and Ice in the poem Fire and Ice? [B-2018, C-2020]
- In previous 4 years, 5 questions came in the board examinations i.e. 2 questions are unique and 3 questions are repeated.
- Question 2 & 3 were repeated and all these questions are subjective in nature.
|Question Came in Code||C||A, B||B||C|
3. Except in 2018, only one set have questions from this poem. This trend is likely to remain continued. If student learns about the symbolic values of Fire and Ice in reference of this poem, it is sufficient.
4. In previous 4 years, no question has been asked in Code D. Hence in upcoming examinations, Code D can be given preference for the question from this poem.
Comprehension or Passage
|First||A||Not Asked||C||A||AGREE, TAKE THE SIDE OF|
|Second||Not Asked||Not Asked||A||Not Asked||Not Asked|
Agree means Hold and Take the side means Favour in the text of the poem.
Except 2018, each year comprehension from this poem came in the board examinations and most preferably in Code A and Code C. First paragraph is more important than the second one. Hence all the key spellings and word meanings from the first paragraphs should be on top priority for the students.
Following is the text taken by NCERT First Flight for Class X and analysis is carried out on the basis of Board of School Education, Haryana previous year question papers. Read the Text of the chapter for enhancing reading and speaking skills.