Two Stories about Flying is the third chapter from the book First Flight in class 10th. We will analyze this short story from board examination viewpoints.This story is divided into 2 parts.
- His First Flight by Liam O’ Flaherty
- Black Aeroplane by Frederick Forsyth
Both of these stories have message of courage prominently existed. In the story of ‘His First Flight’ – fear of flying in a young seagull is on prime focus and how his mother infuses determination and courage in him – is the whole idea of the story?
While Black Aeroplane is a blend of courage and mystery, both intermingled brilliantly by the author. There are many questions that remain unanswered even after the completion of the story, but the message of determination & courage have prime importance.
Question asked in Board Examinations
- For how long the seagull been alone? [D-2017]
- Give 2 reasons for the happiness of the pilot ‘In Black Aeroplane’? [D-2017]
- “I’ll take the risk.” What was the risk? Why does the narrator take it? [B-2018]?
- “The sight of the food maddened him”. What does this suggest? What compelled the young seaqull to finally fly? [B-2019]
- Describe the narrator’s experience as he flew the aeroplane into the storm? [C-2019]
- Write the story of the ‘His First Flight’? [A-2020]
- What make the woman in the control center look at the narrator strangely? [A-2020]
Question no. 4 was repeated again in Code C year 2020. No other question was ever repeated in any board examination in previous 4 years.
Another important thing to note that out of total 7 questions came in board examinations so far, 3 questions are from ‘His First Flight’ and 4 questions are from ‘Black Aeroplane’.
Hence both of the chapter have identical level of importance from examination point of view. Questions are also random without any sort of specific importance from the text as well.
In previous 4 years, comprehension from this chapters came in year 2017, 2018 and 2019. [Black Aeroplane (3 Times) and His First Flight (1 Time)] Hence Black Aeroplane can also be considered as an important chapter from comprehension point of view also.
“The young seagull …………………. Slept at night” came in year 2018 Code D. Major synonym asked for the word Edge which means ‘Brink’.
“As I looked down ………………………. DS088. Over” came in year 2018 Code A.
“Paris Control? Paris Control? ……………………………….obedient child” came in year 2017 Code A. Major synonym asked for the words Instrument for telling directions and to come after that means ‘Compass’ and ‘Follow’ from the comprehension text.
“He turned his aeroplane …………………………..through the storm.” came in year 2019 Code B. Antonym was asked from the text for the word “Insufficient” and the answer is ‘Enough’. Strangely abstract noun of the word obedient was asked in the examination. Answer will be ‘Obedience’.
Major relevant words for learning purpose
- Muster up
Following is the text taken by NCERT First Flight for Class X and analysis is carried out on the basis of Board of School Education, Haryana previous year question papers. Read the Text of the chapter for enhancing reading and speaking skills.