From the Diary of Anne Frank is the 4th chapter from the book First Flight in class 10th. We will analyze this short story from board examination viewpoints.
From the Diary of Anne Frank is an autobiography. Anne Frank was the victim of Nazism and many of her family members were executed by Nazi people.
Only a little portion of this autobiography was included in the syllabus of class X. Theme for the text in syllabus is her experience at home, at school and at hideouts from the Nazi people.
Question asked in Board Examinations
- Give a brief sketch of Anne Life? [A-2017]
- Who was Kitty? [D-2017]
- Why did Mr. Keesing punish Anne? What was the punishment and how did Anne finally stop Mr. Keesing from punishing her? [B-2018]
- Why does Anne wants to keep a diary? [A-2019]
- Why was Mr. Keesing annoyed with Anne Frank? What did he ask her to do? [D-2019]
Question no. 1 was repeated in Code D year 2019. Question no. 4 was repeated in Code B year 2020. Question no. 5 was repeated in Code Code A year 2020.
Technically there were never in previous 4 years many question were asked from this story. Major question is Life of Anne Frank or Character-sketch of Anne Frank. This question came 2 times; first in 2017 and than in 2019.
In each year, no doubt, question were asked but another major portion revolves around Mr. Keesing. He was the teacher of Anne Frank and he was annoyed with Anne Frank for her excessive talking habits in the class-room.
Comprehension from this chapter came 4 times in each year i.e. 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. Hence this is also one of the important chapters from comprehension point of view.
“Writing in a diary…………………………………………..make a bit of difference” came in year 2017 Code B. Major synonyms asked were Thoughts and Forbearance which means Musings and Patience in the text.
“All i think about when ………………………………….started a diary” came in year 2018 Code D. No major synonym was asked this year. Major focus was on factual questions from the text.
“Paper has more patience ……………………………..except my one true friend ” came in year 2019 Code C. One synonym ‘Calm’ was asked which means Patience from the text.
“I get long party well ………………………………. tried to keep quiet” came in year 2020 Code a. In this year also, no major synonym or antonym was asked. Focus was solemnly on factual questions from the text.
- Full name of Anne Frank is Anneliese Marie Anne Frank.
- She was born on 12.06.1929 and was assumed to leave this word in February or March 1945.
- She received diary named Kitty on her 13th Birthday and that diary had chronicles of her life events from 12.06.1942 to 01.08.1944.
- Otto Frank was her father, the only survivors in the family during the war.
- Mr Keesing was her teacher and he was always annoyed with Anne Frank for her excessive talkative nature in the classroom.
- Annoyed, Mr. Keesing gave her an extra homework to write an essay on the subject “A Chatterbox”.
- Anne Frank habit of excessive talking was not improving hence Mr. Keesing gave her another homework to write an essay on the subject “An Incorrigible Chatterbox”.
- Later, Mr. Keesing asked her to write an essay “Quack, Quack, Quack. Later Anne Frank, finally exhausted and wrote a poem in which a father swan killed baby ducklings because they quacked so much.” This made teacher changed her attitude towards Anne Frank.
Following is the text taken by NCERT First Flight for Class X and analysis is carried out on the basis of Board of School Education, Haryana previous year question papers. Read the Text of the chapter for enhancing reading and speaking skills.