For Anne Gregory is the last poem in the Book First Flight Class 10th. This poem is conversational poem between the poet and Anne Gregory. Poem is discussing about the true love. In this whole world, love and admiration is only for outer things. Poet is discussing about true love.
For Anne Gregory is written by W. B. Yeats [William Butler Yeats]. He was an Irish Poet and author. He won Nobel Prize for exceptional work in English Literature. This poem has 3 paragraphs and 18 lines i.e. 6 lines in each paragraph. Rhyme pattern is ABCBDB.
Major theme of this poem is to understand real love. Love for human being may have desire or expectation but love is beyond such things. Question arises – who can love us unconditionally? This is the only thing we can learn through this poem.
Important Points of For Anne Gregory
- Love is often used to hide our own hidden desires for someone. Unconditional love is a myth, as far as an ordinary human being is present. People fight for true love without understanding the alchemy of love.
- Poet is stating to Anne Gregory that a person cannot love her the way she was; he could love her skin and hair.
- Only in 2nd paragraph, Anne Gregory argued for a perfect match. But it was denied by the poet by stating, “Only the God can love us the way we are”.
Question asked in Board Examinations
- How will the young man react on seeing the honey colored ramparts? [C-2017, B-2020]
- How can the young woman dye her hair? Why? [D-2017, C-2018]
- What features of the young woman has put the young man into despair? [A-2018]
- What will the young man love the woman for? [D-2018]
- What did religious man tell the poet? [C-2019]
- What are the young man & young woman argue in the poem? [D-2020]
- In previous 4 years, there were 8 question asked in Board Examinations. 6 questions were unique and 2 question were repeated.
- Question 1 was repeated in 2020 after 2017 while question 2 was repeated in 2018 after 2017. No further repetition was seen later till 2020.
- In each year, question came but they have an objective approach. Hence students can also take objective approach for this poem. Conversational arguments is the key to learn each question.
- Code D and Code C is the most preferable codes for this poem.
|Question Came in Code||C, D||A, C, D||C||B, D|
Comprehension or Passage
- ‘I heard an old ……………………………………………………………. your yellow hair’, came in Year 2019 Code B. Major synonym was asked for the word Book that means Text in the text.
- ‘Never shall a young ………………………………………………….. your yellow hair’, came in Year 2019 Code C. Major synonym was asked for the word Defensive wall of fort that means Ramparts in the text.
Students may learn few words i.e. Despair, Ramparts an thrown
Following is the text taken by NCERT First Flight for Class X and analysis is carried out on the basis of Board of School Education, Haryana previous year question papers. Read the Text of the chapter for enhancing reading and speaking skills.