The Rattrap is the 4th chapter in the English Core XII book Flamingo. This is just not a story but a harsh reality of this world through the eyes of victimized and marginalized human being. This story is also telling about the importance of humanity and goodness because this can only protect people from victimization.
When we closely analyze the story, we found a peddler with a pessimistic attitude towards this world. Before moving further, we should stop and find out, why he has such attitude? He was once the fine man but due to some misfortune, he developed such attitude.
He quoted about the materialistic things which have great power to allure anybody and put him in its trap strongly. But there is one another character Edla Willmansson who was generous and respectful towards the peddler. It is the power of compassion that protected the peddler from the falling into the rattrap he quoted often.
In this article, we are presenting our readers the previous 4 year Board of School Education, Haryana Question Papers having questions from The Rattrap. It may help our readers about the trend of questions that was being asked by Board in its final examination.
Question Asked in Board Examinations
- Do you think that the peddler is a criminal or a victim of consequences? [A-2017, 5 Marks]
- Why did peddler declined the invitation? [B-2017, D-2019, C-2020, 2 Marks Each Time]
- What doubts did Edla have about the peddler? [C-2017, B-2018, 2 Marks Each Time]
- When did the Iron-master realized his mistake? [D-2017, A-2018, 2 Marks Each Time]
- Who was the poor peddler? Why did he think that the whole world is a rattrap? [C-2018, 5 Marks, “2nd part of this question came in C-2019, 2 Marks”]
- Why was the crofter so talkative and friendly with the peddler? [C-2018, D-2019, 2 Marks Each Time]
- How did the peddler showed the gratitude to Edla? [D-2018, 5 Marks]
- Who gave the peddler unwanted joy? [D-2018, 2 Marks]
- Why didn’t the stranger tell the Iron-master that he was not Nils Olfs? [A-2019, 2 Marks]
- Edla is a better judge of character than the father, Justify? [B-2019, 5 Marks]
- Why was Edla happy to see the gift left by the peddler? [B-2019, D-2020, 2 Marks Each Time]
- Why did the peddler sign himself as Captain Von Stahle? [C-2019, 2 Marks]
- Why did the rattrap take his way through forest? [A-2020, 2 Marks]
- What did the peddler sell and how did he make those things? [B-2020, 2 Marks]
In previous 4 years, 4 sets of examination each year – 16 sets have come and 21 times, questions from this chapter have appeared to students. Appearance of this chapter is 131.25% in board examination. This percentage put this chapter among top chapters of Flamingo for examination point of view.
There are only 14 unique questions but appearance of this chapter is 21 times i.e. 7 questions from these 14 unique questions repeated in different sets in previous 4 years. Repetition of questions from this chapter is 50%. This percentage yet again proves this chapter as one of the most important chapters.
Out of 21 questions, 17 question are of 2 marks and 4 question are of 5 marks. Part of Flamingo carries 20 marks in each set i.e. 320 marks in 4 years. This chapter has the value of 54 + 15 marks of comprehension in previous 4 years board examinations i.e. 21.56% of the total Flamingo.
There is a variation in essay type questions. There is no established pattern in essay type questions. Question no. 2 was repeated 3 times. Most of the short-answer type questions are revolved around Peddler & Edla. Critical & Analytical question can be asked from this chapter.
All the students are advised to learn all old crofter incident, Iron-Mill incident, Edla Willmansson incident to understand this chapter well.Advise from Ajay Lilrain
“During one of the ……………………………………………………….brick-tiled roof.” This comprehension was asked in B-2017. These comprehensions carries 5 marks. Major synonym were asked Shining and Put through shovels that means Glowing and Shovelled from the text.
“But half and hour ……………………………………………………….and went away.” This comprehension was asked in D-2018. These comprehensions carries 5 marks. No major synonyms were asked.
“One dark evening ……………………………………………………….guest until bedtime.” This comprehension was asked in D-2019. These comprehensions carries 5 marks. No major synonyms were asked.
All the students are advised to understand the symbolism discussed in this story. This story hints about understanding the rational views of this world. Only sympathy, compassion and love for fellow people can save this world.