Dust of Snow is the first poem from the Book First Flight Class 10th. This poem was written by Robert Frost. He was an American Poet. In his poetry, we generally find the instances of nature and its beauty.
8 lines long poem has two paragraphs i.e. four lines in each paragraph. Its rhyme pattern is abab in both the paragraphs.
Major theme of Dust of Snow is nature itself. How nature is capable to cure all ailments of human is the principal theme discussed through out the poem. We can study in the poem that just a dust of snow changed the mood of the poet from bad to good.
Important Points of Dust of Snow
- Hemlock is the plant discussed in the poem and this is considered as a poisonous.
- Crow in English Literature is a symbol of bad omens.
- Snow is also considered as the symbol of death in American Literature.
- Crow shook down snow on the Hemlock tree and it falls down on the poet. He was standing under the Hemlock tree. This little moment changed the mood of the poet from bad to good.
Read Complete Analysis: How Will the World Come to an End
Small things or events can have big impacts in our lives.Moral of the poem
Question asked in Board Examinations
- Where was the poet and what happened to him? [C-2017, B-2020]
- Where was the crow sitting? What did it shook down on the poet? [C-2017]
- What is the substance of the poem? [C-2017, A-2019]
- What is Dust of Snow? What does the poet say has changed his mood? How has the poet’s mood changed? [C-2017, D-2020]
- In previous 4 years, 7 questions came in the board examinations i.e. 4 questions are unique and 3 questions are repeated.
- Question 1, 3 & 5 were repeated and all these questions are subjective in nature.
|Question Came in Code||C, D||B||A, C||B, D|
3. Except 2018, Minimum two sets have questions from Dust of Snow. Code C and Code D are the prime sets for this poem. Trend shows in upcoming examinations, short answer type questions from this poem can come.
Comprehension or Passage
|Passage||2nd Paragraph||1st Paragraph||Not Asked||Not Asked|
|Code||A||C||Not Asked||Not Asked|
|Synonym||Not Asked||Not Asked||Not Asked||Not Asked|
No major synonym was asked from this poem in board examinations. But students learn the meaning of word “Rued” which has synonym “Regretted“. Through the trend, we can say that in upcoming examinations, comprehension may come in Code B or Code D.
Following is the text taken by NCERT First Flight for Class X and analysis is carried out on the basis of Board of School Education, Haryana previous year question papers. Read the Text of the chapter for enhancing reading and speaking skills.