World Health Organization declared COVID-19 outbreak as pandemic –but amidst this challenge, another question has raised, “How to deal with partner, children and parents in quarantine amidst COVID-19 outbreak?”
Across the globe, government and law enforcement agencies, taking reference of non-availability of COVID-19 medicine in the market, decided to put their people under quarantine to stop community infection. Social distancing & work from home are the latest steps taken by majority of COVID-19 infected countries.
But who knows – another problem will arise? In China, application for divorces increased suddenly because couple spent too much time in quarantine and their internal conflicts finally reached to the threshold resulting increased application for the divorce. Hence question is valid enough, “During quarantine, how can we manage our family relationship as good as everyone expects they should be?”
Career oriented education, lots of competition in every possible field, fight for survival with advent of new technology everyday – people have everything except quality family time.
People are busy with their professional commitment but even though they feel comfortable in such intense and busy time schedules. They reach home tired, formally see everybody and with a casual good night, wait starts for another ruthless & highly competitive day.
Suddenly an outbreak of a pandemic puts everything on halt. Corona infection is contagious, even though not lethal [as WHO stated], but whole world surrenders ahead this micro-organism. After China – Italy and other European nations are enforcing quarantine to their citizen. From an intense busy schedule to idle family days – people are not aware how to deal with such a situation.
Major problem at home with partner, children and parents during pandemic outbreak situation –
- People can manage their official duties with great discipline and accuracy but managing expectation of partner, children and parents at home, looks tedious.
- There is always an expectation for domestic help from the partner.
- Children, away from school & friends, cannot understand the gravity of such a situation and to keep them at home peacefully is a challenge.
- Children, as usual, never care too much for their personal hygiene [if they are less than 8 years of age] and it is a challenge to enforce personal hygiene on them when there is a fear of infectious disease like COVID-19.
- In a country like India, where socialization is a routine – isolation & social distance brings depressive state of mind, resulting loose temper and unexpected mental responses. [Indeed European countries, where social gathering are not so much but still number of COVID-19 infections is a matter of serious concern]
- Parents always guide what to do, what not to do and after a period of time, these words become hell for the ears to listen.
- Amidst uncertainty, social distancing, no official targets to achieve – no conversation lefts. [We are not used to do quality conversations]
Self-Dealing in such a situation –
Pablo Neruda in his famous poem ‘Keeping Quiet’ raised serious concern about war, natural imbalance, climate change and urged people to stop for a moment and do introspection. People never stop but fear of death & a tiny microorganism enslaved us. This quarantine period can be a perfect time for introspection.
People should think in a broader sense. Money, power, success has no meaning if there is no life. Certainly world will win the war against this pandemic but ‘what will be our next strategy towards life and our mother earth’ – should be a topic to introspect. This simple technique will surely give people necessary boost and energy for life.
Dealing with Partner –
Marriage is not casual & our partner for life is not an ordinary target to accomplish or a routine human being. Marriage is a social affair but it is quite personal also; physically and emotionally. Expectation will always there but it is not unidirectional. In quarantine period, motivation and mutual understand among partners is essential hence couples should prepare themselves to change their priority. Children learn from their parents and if parents behave like responsible and motivated human being, children will definitely learn.
10 things to do to deal partner, children and parents –
- In quarantine, people are forced to stay at home but that doesn’t mean the change in morning routine. People should wake up early in the morning & to keep immunity and health excellent; yoga, aerobics and exercise should be adopted for a wonderful & energetic start of the day.
- Necessary domestic work like cleaning, cooking, washing clothes and dining is a routine work. Partners should do these tasks together. If wife is cooking food, husband can do cleaning and sanitizing of the house. Domestic work, if done with enthusiasm and interest, is surely a time killer. This will increase coordination with love among partners. Couples should remember to appreciate each other work, even if work is not done as per expectation.
- Every person has some pursuits and hobbies but due to intense work schedule and other official assignments – people find no time to fulfil their pursuits and hobbies. Quarantine time can be the best time for such activities.
- Creative person can do Blogging, Writing, Dance, Gardening, Painting and Music Composition.
- Non creative person can opt for listening music, watching favourite movies, web series and net surfing.
- People also compile their life in form of photo albums but hardly have they got time to see them. In quarantine period, People can watch family photo albums together. Parents can share their experience if associated with any photograph. This can make the event interesting and communicative.
- Parents can share their life experience like hurdles, pain, ecstasy, motivation, success, failure with their children. It is quite useful in many ways –
- A successful communication will establish among family.
- Children will understand their parents emotionally and socially.
- Life experience of parents can be a game changer for their children also.
- Children will learn the value of family.
- People can play indoor games with their children for fun and enjoyment.
- People can do introspection about our present life and future.
- People can do telephonic conversation with their loved one and this can be a better way to stay in touch socially.
- Children can opt for online courses and parents should monitor their classes and this is the best method to deal with children. Online classes can be academic or hobby based. People should support their children for choosing such online courses.
- In evening, people can walk on the terrace of the home or at any other available place in the compound of home. They can talk to neighbours from a safe distance also.
This is a hard time but it will go. Every individual has good and bad habits. As a family – people should accept a person as it is. Life is short; challenges will always come in many ways. If a single micro-organism can bring whole world under its foot – imagine what Mother Nature, with all its might, can do? Hard times teach us & family is the last resort. Cherish it.